The AR.Drone GoPro support kit is an open hardware project sold at about the cost you would spend creating it by yourself. Its support is created with ultra-light Aluminium structure that can be oriented following the desired azimuth. To check the camera position when mounted on the drone the support exposes the DVI camera out of theGoPro in order to see in a monitor the camera view and positon it correctly before starting flying.
The support is inserted into the front side of the AR.Drone by Parrot and - for best performances - should be fixed using double-sided tape on the top base. To change the camera azimuth as needed, use an Allen key.
After several experiments the actual position of the GoPro camera will be one of the best point of view while flying. To compensate the extra-weight camera and reposition the center of gravity to the original AR.Drone CG (i.e. at the center of the motors cross) the drone back side supports a rod of about 15 inches to which a small weight has been added.
The AR.Drone GoPro mount kit includes:
- Modified top skull
- Aluminium support with internal foam padding
- Double-sided tape for support fixing (recommended)
- Allen key for camera mount orientation
- Back counterweight insertion support + fixing glue
- Velcro strips for GoPro camera clamping
- Set of pre-cut ties for dampers (application recommended)